As I missed the first week of research, including orientation, I have felt behind since the very start. Last week, I believe I made some progress on closing this gap. After the survey was created and reviewed, the real task began. I believed finding teachers(who I wanted to survey) in the summer would be difficult, but low and behold, technology came through in the end. Most everyone I needed to reach had their email addresses somewhere online. With much tedious compiling of addresses, the cover letter and survey were sent. A moment of triumph! Whether or not the teachers would check their email in the summer, I was unsure. I now know, however, just how dependent on technology we have all become. Of some 2oo recipients of the survey, 10 filled it out within the first two hours!
My next task was getting the survey to artists involved in the Artists in the Schools Program. With the help of Michael Pangberg, the new director of the council, this was quickly achieved. I’ve also decided to enlist the help of Pat Boyd, the director of South Dakotans for the Arts. She is extremely knowledgeable on the work of the council in recent years. I believe that the more people I consult, the more likely I am to reach my goals or perhaps the goals that would be most beneficial to South Dakotan tax payers.